Thursday, May 27, 2010

Is it Mountain time or Pacific??

Day 5 - Not sure of the time, nor the zone.  Well, I'm sure of the zona, as in Ari.....DST is not observed here, so half the year it is mountain time, and the other is left coast.  I'm thinking it is now Pacific time.  I'm in
Holbrook, about 100 miles West of the Nuevo Mexico border.  This will be my third night in 10 months in this town.  I'm becoming quite the frequent guest.  Phoenix is on the tube in the NBA Western Finals.  Go Suns!!  I like the Sun.  Except of course when riding into its path!! 

Yesterday was spent tooling around the "Q".  Drove up to the peak named Salinas.  Over 10,000 feet. A very pretty ride, but it was quite chilly at the top.  Of course, I forgot my long sleeve back at the enchanted trails, so I didn't spend a long time at the top.  Nice view of the valley, however the multitude of radio, microwave, cellular and other towers spoiled the otherwise beautiful view!!  Snow was still on the ground.  BRRRR.



An yet another Simpsons reference, I had to drive by the home of the Isotopes.  Very nice facility.  The "Topes" happened to be playing.  So did I attend a game?  Of course not.  I did quickly pop in the gift shop,
hoping to find a nice T Shirt with Homer, but none were to be found.  Rather odd, since the Simpsons are THE reason for the team's name.  And the first thing I see walking into the stadium??  A giant Homer.  Made it back to the Enchanted Trails, and retired for the night.



Extreme high winds today.  Unbelievable.  Stopped by to see Crazy Mary at the Route 66 Art Gallery in San Fidel.  I had a smoke and she had a cigar!!  Her Gallery is on 66, and the property contains a few very small remnants of an old hotel, that was made out of mud!!  Yes, mud!!  It was a very dirty place!!  What little remains, is pictured here....and a nice shot of her apricot tree!!

Also across the street is this vintage cafe, with a pretty cool sign.

Continued Westward towards Gallup.  Don't know if I've mentioned it, but I installed some rocking speakers for the trip.  Made by MHI Instruments, these are the Rumble Road Ultra's, and sound pretty fine.  Of course, running straight pipes as I'm doing, and driving into 40 mph hour winds while driving 60mph, it occasionally makes it a little difficult to hear.  But when the wind is low, and I'm cruising at 50, they are great!!  And they look pretty nice too!!


I'm typing this as I eat at Romo's, the best place in Holbrook.  Situated directly across the street from Joe and Aggies, it is packed. This is where the locals come!!

Going to visit Winslow on Friday morning, then heading to Phoenix/Scottsdale/Chandler.

Looking forward to a nice rest tonight!!

No comments:

Post a Comment