Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Third Verse, Same As The First

Just last night, I was reminded of, just how bad, it had gotten, and just how sick, I had become!!!  Apologies to Gordon Gano and crew, but the title seemed appropriate, as the following is now my third "self blogging portrait" from the Enchanted Hills RV Park on top of nine mile hill in "The Q".  For you novices, the "Q" is Albuquerque!!


So here I sit, day 4 of the trip has begun!!  But wait, I'm jumping ahead once again.  And I've yet to have any coffee!!  That ADD adult style is kickin' in big time!!  Big time... Did I jus type that??  Well, I am a sensitive 90's guy!!  Ok, back to the recap of yesterday.

Many changes took place yesterday.  I lightened my load considerably.  Bulk and stress.  I discovered quickly that the trailer, while handy and quite agile, was dragging me down.  MPG was down to about 20!!  Yes, a mere 20 mpg.  While might be fine with a car, not with a cycle.  Combine that with a 4.5 gal fuel tank, and not many gas stations in some parts, made for too many frequent stops.  So I left the trailer behind in Amarillo in Croc's Garage, packed up what I could on the green love machine, and headed towards the "Q".  Finally got on the road about 3:00pm, after a quick stop at the 6th Street Antique Mall and Route 66 Store in Amarillo.  (I have to remember about the art cards occasionally!!).....Saw Chip and delivered an all new assortment of Amarillo's stuff!!  Have you seen the Amarillo stuff?  This is where you can -   Handcolored66

Headed west, stopped in Montoya, Newkirk, and a few other places that I've seen many times before, but depending on the season, time of day, it's always different!!

The first shot on the left is a very old ad for a Texaco Station.  This is located on an old segment a few miles West of Tucumcari.


Continuing West, the following are located close to the Montoyas exit and Newkirk....





The sunset was beautiful, driving westward......However, it also sucked, driving directly into the sun.  66 is almost due west, and the sun was almost blinding.  Fans of the Simpsons, remember the "Great Chili Cookoff Episode"   When Homer was in the Desert??  Sunrise, Sunset, Sunrise, Sunset........DOH!!


It was like that!!  Very hard to see, so I stayed on the cycle, and arrived in the "Q" about 8:30.  Had a great Green Chili Burrito, (actually to me it was an enchilada as it was covered in sauce)......Parked in front.  Hey, while probably not intended, it was for bikes!!!  Within 5 minutes of my parking on the sidewalk, two more compadres like my idea, and decided to join my new parking arrangement!!


So, after a quick nights sleep in the Winnebago at the Enchanted Trails RV Park, I awoke, where I am finishing the blog.  Took these pics this morning, and am going to photograph the interiors of some of these groovy travel trailers for my good friend Vicki!!  Sheriff and Proprietor of Enchanted Trails.

1 comment:

  1. It was mostly "I" in this post. Did Larry bail? I hope not! How can you fit all your stuff on your bike? Hard to imagine!

    ReplyDelete