Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Make that Quaker State, A very sexy road, a quick TV interview, and much much more!!

Day three of my journey.

I'm sitting in a structure called the Office Lounge located on Hwy 54 Just West of Weatherford, OK.  Being Caucasian, sporting my riding boots and leather jacket, I feel quite at home.  Well, maybe not at home, but no fear of getting my ass kicked!!  Giddy up!!

Yet another fine day on the Mother Road.  Wow, where do I start?  I guess anywhere I please, as this is MY BLOG!!!  I feel so empowered.  Almost as giddy as Nancy Pelosi when Diane Sawyer made the comment that she is the most powerful woman in America.  Damn, I'd love to have seen the expression on Hillary's face when she heard that description!!

I left Laurel's house about 8:00am....And headed back East to the Desert Hills Motel.  I had photographed the Motels' sign back in November, and it is one of my favorite's on the road.  I was fortunate enough to catch Frank Patel, and showed him my stuff.  Another very smart cat.  He dug my photo of the sign, and purchased a handful of cards. I named this card the "Diagonal Desert Hills".  It is very unique as all the rooms were constructed at a 45 degree angle, (I couldn't locate my protractor, so I'm estimating) from the parking area.  The story of the design follows:  In order to maximize the space on the lot, the architect angled all the rooms.  Call me Claven.  Just another fact belonging to the great history of Route 66.  Anywho, first call, first sale.  Would this great fortune continue???  Maybe next time.

Headed back west, re-photographed the Rancho Grande Sign,

the eatery  where I had dined the previous evening, and continued westward on 11th street.  Those of you familiar with the route, are aware of the many different alignments of 66.  Most "major" cities had several.  Tulsa is no exception. 

Laurel informed me that Tulsa is home to Arby's, and several of the big ass hat signs remain. 

I also found some other interesting signs and structures on 11th St. I really enjoyed the "Chatterbox Lounge".



Must be a popular place for Women named Cathy or Kathy.

Next stop was to check out the "Lyon's Indian Store".  Very cool building.





  Tulsa is home to some of the very finest examples of "art deco"


Next photos I shot were in Red Fork.  





Not sure what this was, but it I do know it was some business named "BELL".  Anyone? Anyone? Perhaps Ben Stein knows.

Just down the road near Sapulpa, is home to the "Kelly Kelly Kelly's Country Cooking" joint.


 There must be something about Kelly, as the next town down the Route is Kellyville.


Who is Kelly?  And why do I ask??

This is my third time in 7 months traveling this segment, and I'm still discovering new "gems".  Not sure about this contraption, and I'm sure someone who is familiar with oil can tell me what is  the purpose of this structure.


It was painted Red, White, and Blue.  Perhaps the first thingymajig of the Standard/American Oil Company.  Later known as Amoco, and now BP.  Those smart Brits and their marketing savvy....Buy a company called American Oil, change it to BP. None of us dumb American's will ever figure out BP stands for Britsh Petroleum. DUH!! Go brush your teeth!!

Next stop, Stroud Oklahoma.  Tried to meet Dawn at the "Rock".  Maybe next time.  Nabbed a few cool pics in Stroud.




Stopped in at the SKYLINER, and met yet another of the famous Patel's.  This Patel happend to be "The Bob".  He wants some pics. I'm a big fan of Indian Food.  The scent wafting from the office was DEE-LICIOUS.    We discussed Korma and Karma.  For some strange reason, I just don't think an Indian restaurant could flourish in Stroud.













Davenport, Oklahoma provied the following images of the GAR Wooly's place of Food & Fun. 




Really fun. Good times, Good Fun. Met a great lady named Tammi.  Will be coming back.


New business alert.  



 Pictured above are  Edwin and Gloria.  They just moved to XXXXXXXXxx, via Ecuador. The two just opened their establishment a few weeks ago.  We talked about  plantains and frijoles negros.  Probably won't be making the menu, but I understand.  It's great to see new things popping up!!

Next town Chandler. Stopped into the old armory, which is now the "Chandler Route 66 Interpretive Center". Wow, this place was really cool. There are a plethora of museums on the route....and this is one of the tops!! Met a charming young lady named Jade, who also loved the colors in the cards! It is so refreshing to hear that.

Made a quick stop at McJerry's, but nobody was home.  Headed west and re photographed one of the few remaing Meramec Cavern's Barns on Route 66.
I'm very happy that these barns still exist.    Those that know me, are aware that these barns are responsible for my initiation to Route 66.

Approaching Arcadia, I spied this sign.






  No need for words.  I kept looking for some flashing lights or something.  Nope, just the sign!!  SASSY!!!


 Another stop at the counterfeit gas station, 

and soon made it through Arcadia without my radar detector emitting a single chirp.  Must have been do-nut time. MMM, donuts.

Dropped into Pop's, and met the charming Missy Menasco. We chatted for a while about my stuff, and I   took a couple shots.




and hopefully they will soon be a retailer of Handcolored66 art!!





"I told you not to order the beans".











Took a different alignment through OKC.  Twas ok, but more on that later.....The Tower theater is kewl.







  Getting tired reading?  I highly doubt it.  I'm getting tired composing.  Enjoy the following pics......



Oh, almost forgot, just north of the Capitol, I pulled into a gas station. Noticed a cameraman, or is it video-orgapher?? Whatever. There was also was a very sassy lady with a long mic with a big fuzzy wind screen. Hmm, at first, she was talking to this black lady named Shwanda. But I didn't realize it was the "action news team". As I approached the store, I glanced around to look for the "action news" SUV, but did not see one. Took care of my business, and within 60 seconds was out the door walking back to the cruising vessel. At first glance, they were gone. As I headed out of the lot, I saw the duo, and pulled back around. I had to see what was going on!! BREAKING NEWS!! Yes, your humble blogmaster garnered one second of air time on FOX25 OKC!!


http://www.okcfox.com/newsroom/top_stories/videos/kokh_vid_1274.shtml

Damn I'm fat. And I've lost 25#'s. Only 40 to go!!


Ok, that's it for the pics.  I'm still at the office.  Time for this blog....about two hours. I think I should be able to write of my time for tax purposes.  it is marketing, right?  It's funny 'cause it true!!

Happy Birthday Blair.  I love you!!!
12:04 AM 3/25/2010

Nighty Nite!!



 


OKC is in dire need of Route 66 signage.  Miles after miles and nary a sign, nor any 66 businesses.






























I know, my first comment was that I would not bitch about traffic.  Well,

2 comments:

  1. This is all good, and I have lots of comments, but I'm completely BEAT and just want to veg tonight. I'll be back tomorrow to offer constructive criticism (hah!) and efflusive praise. Sounds like it's going very well!
    Sold some of your cards today. People like 'em a lot.

    Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete