Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Very few miles = A mighty fine day

Wow, yesterday was fabulous.  The weather, the people, the road, and only dumb-ass.
Before my departure, several people wondered when I would be "in the area".  My response was that I had no idea.  As I explained, the better the sales, the longer it will take.  90 miles was mighty fine!!

The packup of the car went fine, albeit slowly.  First stop was back to Mi-am-uh (as the locals say) and was lucky enough to witness yet another of Joe Biden's funny lines.  He's is really quick!!  I"m nothing but positive.

First stop was a the Route 66 Vintage Iron Motorcycle Museum in Miami.  If you like bikes, this is a must stop.  Best of all it's free!   Lots and lots of really cool old motorcycles.  Probably my favorite was an authentic Evel Knievel Helmet!!!  Gotta love those dare-devils!!!   Rumour has it they might be getting the infamous Sharktank!!
The store also has leather goods, zuni's, lots of T-shirts, gloves, and other motorcycle accesorries.  I think soon they will have Handcolored66 cards too. 

A few miles West and I'm in Afton.  After speaking, emailing, snail mailing with Laurel it was great to finally see her again and the groovy Afton Station.   A must stop on the road.  Met the infamous Tattoo Man, and spent about two hours with Laurel chatting, mostly discussing how cool the colors are in the postcards, and more!!  If you are traveling and want to find the biggest retailer of Handcolored66 art cards,  just head to Afton.  

Next stop was at Clanton's Cafe in Vinita.  I"ve passed this building about at least four times but have never even photographed it.  Big mistake on my part.  Now I have three images of the "longest" operating restaurant on the Route.  I met Dennis, the co-proprietor of the famous cafe.  Perhaps fan's of the Food Network will recognize the place, as it was featured a few years back.   It was about 2:00pm, and the place was still slammed!!  I shot away, and will be sending images to Dennis.  Look for a Handcolored66 original card at Clanton's.



Stopped in Chelsea for a quick visit with Trudy at the Chelsea Motor Inn.  This was the place the fam and I stayed over Thanksgiving.  Without hesitation, I highly recommend this resting place.  As I showed Trudy my pictures, here first comment was, "Wow, these color's are great"!!  Trudy understands the show!!  Did a little shooting around Chelsea, then stopped in at the Route 66 Mall.  Met Dwane and Mrs. Miller.  This establishments has all sorts of interesting "stuff".  I was quite enamored by a full size Barbie head!!  Dwane and his wife loved my cards, purchased the enitre set of Oklahoma cards, and many others.  I also photographed his building with the colorful murals, and will be making a custom card for the Mall.



A quick visit to Foyil to shoot the Totem Poll,

Catoosa for the whale and then to Tulsa where I met with Laurel again!  She introduced me to some Chili wine, and she took me on a quick tour of Tulsa.  Re shot the awesome Desert Hills Motel and Oasis Motel for the night perspective.  We finished at Rancho Grande for a Carne Asada.  I had will power, only consuming a couple chips, (and the first time ever that I had some salsa verde' that was served warm), a single Negra Modelo, (curiously on the menu as Modelo Negra).  Not bad.  Not bad at all.

As soon as this is finished,  I'm going to tool around Tulsa, then off to OKC and who knows where else?  Will I make Texas today?  Tune in tomorrow!!!!  Oh, the excitement of a cliffhanger!! 

Oh, I almost forgot to reference the "dumb-ass"....  Of course, it happened to be on dead mans curve.   DMC is a section just west of Afton OK on route 66.  Check it out for yourself: 

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=afton+oklahoma&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=39.184175,67.587891&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Afton,+Ottawa,+Oklahoma&ll=36.627953,-94.983459&spn=0.004856,0.00825&t=h&z=17

Upon further study, not sure if this is called DMC, but it should be.  There is a section in Illinois called DMC, and when I've traversed that, it has never seemed like the name was appropriate.  Anyhow, the as I was turning the corner at an nice slow 55mph, an van pulled out from one of the cross roads where I had to really slow down.  As I soon passed him,  I realized he was going to be a dead man soon.  Really old.  Still, no excuse for pulling out in front of the cruising vessel.  Not as if you can say it was hard to see!!!

I"m clueless as to how to run a spell check with this blog.  Anyone?  anyone??  Please forgive the errors.  And still having difficulties posting pics.   Pics will be posted later.

El Gordo

No comments:

Post a Comment