Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Signs, Signs, Signs

Started the day early.  Yes, I took this pic outside the Thunderbird at 6:15am!!

 Can't beat being able to park close to your door!!

Spent the night at the Thunderbird Hotel on Cerillos in Santa Fe. Great value, great vintage charm.  I'll be baaaaack.  Santa Fe is a very cool town.  No wonder the NPS has an incredible complex.    Not to pick favorites but it has a great art district, with galleries, jewelry and soon to be another home of handcolored66.com

First stop was an unannounced pop in (well not completely true, I called on Sunday night to warn both  John and Kaisa of my presence and to also tell them I had presents)  to the NPS which houses some very important folks.  Met Kaisa Barthuli and had a great visit.  Here she is hard at work!!
It was casual Monday!!!  I'm a big believer in Casual Monday's, Tuesday's,............I don't think I've worn a tie in over 10 years.  Sure don't miss that noose!!

Kaisa made me hip to an interesting point to which I was not aware.....That all, (one is in question) of the classic motel's on Cerrillos were built post 1937.   So why does that matter?  Well, for you other stickler's for details like myself....it means they were never on "66".  Think about it.   They were built after the "Guvnah" changed the alignment....Still worth the loop up, as many classic places exist.

Probably the nicest of them all is the El Rey.

They claim to have been built in 1936.  So, if that is true, it is the only property in Santa Fe to have actually been a true Route 66 motel.


Acting on an tip, I drove back to plaza area to check out a card shop.  The name of the shop is Marcy Street Card Shop,and they very likely will be the first and foremost dealer of HC66 cards in fashionably hip SF.  Hoping to garner some miles, I headed west, and decided to check out La Bajada Hill.  Met a  fewcows on the way.


La Bajada Hill  is rich with history, most of which I don't know and what I do I'm not telling!!  Enjoy the pics.
 

For you virgins to Route 66 history, if you look closely at the above pic, you can faintly see the zig zag of what was once the path over La Bajada Hill.  It is accessible by a real 4 wheel vehicle...Not the soccer Mom editions!!  While at the bottom of the hill, I met a dude from Minnesota.  He was accompanied by his daughter and I guess Mother.  She was a local, living somewhere around, and I'm sure the spelling is wrong, Lake Conchita??   Lake  Cornholio!!  Take me to your leader!!!   Anyway, we discussed the hill, and the guy told me his sister had done her thesis on the Neon of Route 66....(maybe the Southwest, I can't remember).  So I told him of my hawking, showed him some cards, and when putting them away, (I"m such a pushy salesman), he said he wanted to buy some!!!  BIG #$^ SALE of the day!!  I can go to Subway and buy a foot long!!  (If you don't get it, he purchased 5 cards=$5.00=Foot long).  His Mom, or Aunt, told me that just before crossing the bridge to get to the base, was a former motel. Here is the pic taken from the handcolored66 mobile command center. 

 Due to my up most integrity and fear of getting shot, I don't like to photograph inhabited structures.  But what the hell!!


Nothing wrong about this view!!!

Left Posada and decided to do a little side trip to Madrid.  Great ride on a gravely road,  (Garmin needs to somehow make the software show paved / unpaved roads).  The town was a big disappointment.  I should have known better.  If you are a fan of the movie Wild Hogs, this is the town which was used.  The cafe remains, and that is all.  But I got a few nice shots on the way to the town....



A bit off the route, so i headed South to pickup the Mother Road just East of Albuquerque.  Albuquerque should be in all spelling bee's.  One toughy it is!!  My previous trip I entered ALBY from the north, and missed almost all of Central.  Signs, Signs, Signs everywhere!!


Can you tell I like the signs??  Hi, my name is Gordo.  I like signs and the Tin Man!!



Last stop of the day was the Enchanted Gardens RV and gift shop just past 9 mile hill.  And I"m glad I did stop.  Another of Croc's great recommendations.  The proprietor, Vicky  AshCraft, was not only enchanting, but also gracious!!  Another smart cookie, she wanted to be the first in Alby to carry the cards.  And she is.  More than a motherload was delivered.  It is where I'm staying tonight.  In a classic trailer......Pictures will follow tomorrow.    For any of you RV folk, this is the place to stay in ALBY. 

No comments:

Post a Comment