Friday, April 23, 2010

Ghost Images - Seeking an explanation

Well well well.  It is Friday morning in Washington Misery.  I have finally finished importing, and sorting the new images from my excursion.  Now all I need to do is edit the 5000+ I have!!  No problemo!!

Last Thursday I was in Afton, OK to visit with my mate Laurel, show her some of the new images I had, and just say hello.  I had never before photographed the Palmer Hotel that is directly across the street from the Afton Station.  So I decided too!!  It still has some flavor, character, etc.  Something strange occured.  Check these out!!


Did I screw up??  Nah, highly unlikely as I'm a professional!!  Of course I didn't....Or did I??  The nice thing about digital imagery is the "footprint" or data that is stored with each image.  Depending on the camera, software etc......not only is the image created when you "snap", but loads of other information.  The following explanation of EXIF data is as follows:



Exif was created by the Japan Electronic Industries Development Association (JEIDA). Version 2.1 of the specification is dated June 12, 1998, and the latest, version 2.2 dated April 2002, is also known as Exif Print. Though the specification is not currently maintained by any industry or standards organisation, its use by camera manufacturers is nearly universal.
The metadata tags defined in the Exif standard cover a broad spectrum:
  • Date and time information. Digital cameras will record the current date and time and save this in the metadata.
  • Camera settings. This includes static information such as the camera model and make, and information that varies with each image such as orientation (rotation), aperture, shutter speed, focal length, metering mode, and ISO speed information.
  • A thumbnail for previewing the picture on the camera's LCD screen, in file managers, or in photo manipulation software.
  • Descriptions and copyright information.



Anyway, the settings that were recorded from the shots I had created were about right.  Perhaps not perfect, but they should have obtained a relatively proper image.  What gives????  It was 1/30 of a second, AV 7.1, ISO 400.  The shots were taken in mostly open shade.  Very spooky!!   Very odd.  Rumor has it that perhaps this building is haunted.  A couple days later and the roof collapsed.


Ok, how about a few pictures that were not trashed by Casper and his friends.....The following are the two images taken immediately before and after the sequence of Spooky Manor...(Palmer Hotel).




So, I really wondered what happened!!  Wild wacky schtuff!!

No comments:

Post a Comment