Thursday, April 8, 2010

Just an incredible day!!! Seligman, Arizona ROCKS!! It truly has been a blessed by an Angel!!






Wow, where do I start??  Yesterday - Today?  Today - Yesterday?? Since my last post, It has been quite a whirlwind.  I left the Aztec Hotel in Seligman and wandered across the street to the Snow Cap.  Received the customary squirt of mustard, and chatted away.  No bites on the cards, as they mostly sling burgers and fries.  Walked next door to Angel and Vilma Degadillo's Route 66 Gift Shop & Visitors Center.  My first two times through Seligman, I didn't enter.  No specific reason, I was just in hurry.  But yesterday was a special day.  Mirna, Angel's daughter, was not in, but Clarissa, another of Angel's offspring, was in the shop.  I chatted about my cards, and she told me Mirna was the one to speak with.  I left a sample or two, and said I checked back in a bit.........Being the pushy salesman I am, I came back.  She still wasn't there, so I said you might want to call her as another store was interested in being the exclusive dealer of handcolored66 art cards in Seligman. Well, as I was leaving,  I noticed Clarissa on the phone.  She called Mirna and told me to wait, she was coming up!!  Wait I did, and might glad I did.   The Route 66 Gift shop is now the #1 retailer of the best diddly darn Route 66 Art Cards anywhere!!


Check out that rack.


What was even better than my new account, was Mirna's request that I come back to photograph the building at night,



and to do a Portrait of Angel in his barber chair.   OMG??  She's asking me??  Uh, yeah, I think I can do that!!   For those of you that are not aware of the history of the "rebirth" of Route 66, Angel is the man!!  You can read all about his vision here:    CLICK 

Off to Phoenix.  Only 174 miles off the Route.  What the hell, I had not seen my Cousin Bill in 22 years, so what's a few miles??  I hadn't been on a road trip for several minutes, so I ventured South.  A beautiful drive, got in town, had a great meal at 5th and Wine Restaurant in Scottsdale, (quite possibly the best Rib eye I've ever devoured,) and crashed quickly!!  Back to Seligman, to Photograph the Legend!!  I"ve done many many portraits, and it is something I'm do very well.  So glad I packed my :"real" camera....The kind that uses film.  Black and White of course!!  I was truly honored, humbled, and excited to have this opportunity.  Arrived in Seligman about 4:30, and although draggin, (thanks Billy...my cousin....another late night)......I got out my gear.

Mirna, assisting with a makeshift reflector, what else but a Route 66 shield!!!


Not only did I photograph Angel,

 


I was also the recipient of his talented clip art!!



I think he told me it was his BEST HAIRCUT EVER!!!!



The footrest of Angel's Chair.


At the beginning of this journey, I had referenced something about it's not just about the road, but the people too!!  I continue to be amazed by the real, genuine people I encounter. They are real, honest folks.  Angel is truly an Angel.  I think I've found a new home......The Road!!

It's no wonder I despised Clayton, Missouri so much.  Fake two faced people, who's only care was the almighty dollar.  I"m SO glad to be gone from that cesspool of insincerity.

Spending my second night in Seligman.  Finishing my meal at Lilo's cafe........It's been a very special day!!

Almost forgot......At least one cool sign!!!  One of the best on the Diagonal Hwy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment