Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Not Only Peddlin', But Bartering Too!!

Day 17.  Very tired, yet very fulfilled.  The towns are a blur, as is my mental state.  Whatever!!  It's not that I"m hearing voices, but have made so many stops, created so many images, have been driving for over 82 hours, (thanks onboard trip computer) I'm a little fuzzy.  As I write this, I'm having a difficult time remembering where I spent the previous night.  O yes, Barstow.   Crashed at the oldest motel in Barstow, and quite possibly the oldest property on Route 66.  The name?  I can't remember.  But here is a picture.  And the bed was round!!  SASSY!!



Now that I"m returning home, I'm traveling East.  It is almost a different route.  So many things one can miss while cruising in the opposite direction, the heading will provide for more groovy images.  Of course, they soon will be online for your viewing pleasure at Handcolored66.  If you are enjoying this blog, or just want to say hello, send me a message at .handcolored66@gmail.com.

Did some early morning shooting in Barstow, which is a great Route 66 town,

 
and made one call.  Of course, the owner wasn't "available".  Seems kind of strange that most times the key decision maker is "not available".....Hey, my product will be making them money!!  Continued East,
 Full service at Roy's in Amboy


and soon was in Needles Calfiornia!!  On my previous two trips, I didn't find much to photograph in Needles.  However, after stopping at the Wagon Wheel Restaurant


the proprietor was very impressed with my wares, (who wouldn't be)??  He noticed I didn't have a single picture of Needles.  I do now!!




Arizona here I come.  My favorite most picturesque part of Route 66 is the spectacular Oatman Hwy, where one must navigate twisty narrow roads to reach Sitegrass Pass.  It really is impressive.  But before my ascent, I found myself in Oatman.  A genuine real old Western Town.  It looks just like the recreations, but it is real!!


Of course, most the shops have the usual nick nack paddywacks, and like to sell the postcards, most of which are printed in Singapore, for .25.  I was about ready to give up, realizing these stores are not the proper place for such "fine art cards" as mine,. when I stopped in the Classy Ass.  Hey, if it's a classy place, they needed some classy cards.

Wow, I was in rare form.  After overcoming countless objections, the Classy Ass is now the newest retailer of Handcolored66 ART Cards!!  Yippee!! 








Off to Cool Springs.  The first time I've taken the Oatman Hwy East.....I think the drive is even better than Westbound.




Stopped in and met with George Chicago.  Had a great chat, and will be making several proofs.  I've not seen the movie, but if you are a fan of the Movie Universal Soldier, you may recognize the place.


notice Mt. Chubby in the background.

It was blown up for the movie.  Discovered an interesting fact.  The local's claim that Jean Claude Van Dumbass, was quite the asshole.  Perhaps he was from France, or Redlands. Cruised through Kingman, and soon was to my destination of Seligman, home to some great Route 66 gems.



What more could one want?  Errr, I think I could fill in an extra square or two!!!


You must be wondering, what about the bartering???  I'm glad you asked that question.  Made my first "room for cards" transaction.  When traveling through last week, I left one of the cards I had produced of the Aztec Motel.

I received a call from the owner Karen a few days later, and she wanted some cards.  I said you bet, what about a trade?  She said fantastic. A charming little joing, and it is very clean!!  It is situated directly across from the legendary Snow-Cap.

 I"m hoping to meet some of the Delgadillo's very soon, and get my cards placed in this very colorful establishment.

I feel I've done enough.  Today shall take me back to Hackberry, (maybe), the back East to Flagstaff.  A detour is in the works, as I"m going to head down to Phoenix to meet up with my cousin.  (not Ted).

Gordo

2 comments:

  1. The magnificence of your blog overwhelms me. Interesting that someone with the exact same name as yourself feels the same.

    ReplyDelete