Thursday, April 1, 2010

Snowing in Holbrook, AZ.

Wow, what a difference a day or two makes.  85 degrees in Alby, and now about 36 with light snow in Holbrook AZ.

My goal was to make it to Arizona, and it was accomplished.  Enjoy the pictures.....


Heading West........The famous "Owl Rock"


Yet another one of the "Dead Man Curve's" on Route 66


A very kind place!!!!

Crazy Mary outside her Route 66 Art Gallery in San Fidel.   Perhaps Cuba, Missouri will soon have a similar proprietor gallery and similiar proprietor.


 Arrived in Grants, New Mexico, and while photographing "Pat's Lounge",



I learned some interesting facts.  This guy came out from the music store,


 and asked me if I knew who owned the store.  Of course, I had no clue.  Surprisingly, it is a the Daughter of "Lucille", of the famed station in Hydro!!  Wild wacky stuff!!  Her name is Delpha Dean Martin,

and she has been running the music shop for many, many years.  Quite a nice selection of guitars, sticks, and much much more...If you are looking for instruments in Grants, and like to smoke, this is the store!!


Shuttered Uranium Cafe......It still glows!!


I've always wondered, "What the hell is a brazier"????

Wacky shenanigans outside the very nice trading post in Milan.  And they locals pronounce it correctly, like the Italian City.  Unlike the town in Northwest Missouri, where it is called "My-lan".
 

For a few short moments, I pondered relieving myself, just to test the accuracy of the sign!!

I soon found myself in Giddy Up Gallup, and made a few images of the way cool El Ranch Motel.

Traveling West, I was quite amused by this......I guess just one of the many kicks you can get on Route 66. I"m having difficulty with the formating of this entry, so forgive the random placement.  


I made it to Arizona!!!!  It's real purdy!!



Those that know me are very well aware of my previous washout experience.  This was about 15 miles West of  Tucumcari.  After I rode my motorcyle through a very muddy underpass, I encountered this. 

 

  This promoted a crazy chain of events that ultimately ended in me running out of gas in Los Montoyas!!  Another story for another time!!  

The last picture of the day, and this washout did not bother me at all.  Not at all!! 


As the comic book store guy would say, "The best washout ever"!!!!



I guess I"m letting the pictures do the talking.  Ready for another day and another wonderful experience.  Sure wish I had time to pull some pranks!!  Best April Fool's joke ever!!  Called a neighbor, about 17 years ago, pretending to be from the water department and informed the person that we were experiencing pressure problems....Long story short, had this lady going all over the house turning on all the faucets!!!  Happy April 1st!!

Yesterday, while preparing to hit the road, and thanking Vickie for her hospitality, and not being able to shut up, somehow the Simpson's came into the conversation.  She made me hip to the following.....

The fictional Springfield Isotopes from the long running TV series The Simpsons were the influence for the new name of the team. In the episode "Hungry, Hungry Homer", main character Homer Simpson attempts to thwart the team's plan to move to Albuquerque by going on a hunger strike. Subsequently, when an Albuquerque Tribune online survey helped the team decide its new name, "Isotopes" received 67 percent of the 120,000 votes.

Just one more reason why I love Alby.  They get it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment